Sunday 8 December 2013

My old faithful Med Gull

Back in November 2008, I found a 2nd-winter Mediterranean Gull on the lake at Burgess Park. It's not exactly the first place you'd think about to go birding - as it borders the notorious Aylesbury Estate - but it has been kind to me, as I've also found Ferruginous Duck and Red-crested Pochard here. Anyway, this Med Gull has become a bit of a southeast London stalwart and once again it's back for its sixth winter (I first saw it this winter a couple of weekends ago). And in the sunlight today, it was looking pretty stunning: -

adult Mediterranean Gull Burgess Park, London 8th December 2013
Earlier on today, I headed to Crossness, where amongst lots of common birds - including 400+ Dunlin and 24 Wigeon - the highlight was a solitary adult Yellow-legged Gull and a colour-ringed Black-headed Gull. Sites like this really need either some strong wind or a nice freeze up, neither of which happened today.

No comments:

Post a Comment