Monday 26 October 2015

Quieter times

In previous years, I'd have normally arrived on Corvo today. But thankfully, due to a new scheme at work where I could wangle a day off for doing copious amounts of cover, this was my fourth day here. And it was relatively quiet in all honesty, with many of the birders departing early afternoon. So it's now down to the late stayers to finish the season off.

I started off around the village, with the usual suspects - a couple of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks gnawing away in their favoured corn field and then this really confiding 1st-winter White-rumped Sandpiper in the old harbour.

White-rumped Sandpiper old harbour, Corvo 26th October 2015
I find it difficult to take myself away from showy yank waders like this, even on Corvo in October. Nevertheless I did, and I had another unsuccessful search for the Philadelphia Vireo that has been lingering on by the windmills.The young Icelandic Black-tailed Godwit looked a solemn figure pecking away on the airfield.

After a brief interlude where a Sora was reported in the middle fields, before vanishing into thick vegetation, I walked up the island and through Tennessee Valley. Nice, but no birds. And the same went for the reservoir, though 17 Snow Buntings were good value and a couple of Skylarks were on the slopes too. Heading down through Lapa looked promising in the still conditions, but delivered only Blackcaps, Blackbirds, Chaffinches and Canaries.

Snow Buntings at the new reservoir, Corvo 26th October 2015
Back in the village for the last half hour or so of light, I joined the Rose-breasted Grosbeak party again. Three birds, two 1st-winter females and a 1st-winter male. So here is today's obligatory 'grozzer' shot: -
Rose-breasted Grosbeak middle fields, Corvo 26th October 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment